Begeleide wandeltochten - Buiten in de natuur
Guided Walking Tours in Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura is considered to be the surfer's paradise with wonderful beaches and good wind conditions by most people. For hiking, however, Fuerteventura is unjustifiably still traded as an insider tip. The island captivates with breathtaking, volcanic landscapes, an interesting and partly unique flora and fauna, vast peaceful areas and last but not least an excellent network of walking routes. It doesn't take much to convince nature lovers that the island can also be an El Dorado for hiking. Therefore, some professionals have specialized in offering guided walking in Fuerteventura.
Beginners as well as old hands are both in good hands in Fuerteventura. The relief of the island offers the appropriate walking routes for every level. From comfortably easy to exhaustingly steep uphill, there is a matching hiking experience for everyone. Discover Fuerteventura while walking and at the same time do something good for your body and mind. If you are not a die-hard hiking enthusiast yet - but also as a hiking expert - you will find everything you need to know about hiking and guided walking tours in Fuerteventura here.
- Brief history of hiking
- Why go walking in Fuerteventura
- For whom is hiking suitable
- Best time to go hiking in Fuerteventura
- Guided walking tours in Fuerteventura
- What to consider when booking
- What you should bring to a hiking tour
- Where to go walking in Fuerteventura
- Flora and fauna in Fuerteventura
- Our guided hiking tours in Fuerteventura
Where Does the Enthusiasm For Walking Come From?
Hiking used to be a form of travelling in the past. Due to its closeness to nature, some people were so fascinated by this way to make a journey that a purpose-free form of hiking developed. It was practiced partly as a sport and partly as a simple leisure activity. The first hikers were documented as early as the Middle Ages around 1350. In the beginning, walking was reserved for the wealthy exclusively. It was only in the late 19th century that this activity became accessible to ordinary people. Nowadays, a wide, more or less well-signposted network of hiking trails and well-trodden paths can be found in large parts of the world, on which dozens of walking enthusiasts travel every day.
Walking Routes in Fuerteventura
Is it Worth to Go Hiking in Fuerteventura?
In response to this, we have to say a decided YES. Because a large number of interesting places in Fuerteventura can only be reached on foot. Trained mountain hikers will hardly find a real challenge on the beautiful Canary Island though, since for example the highest mountain is only 807 meters high. At first glance, the island appears deserted and barren. On closer inspection, however, it even convinces die-hard hikers and above all nature lovers due to its enormous variety of landscapes. On your hikes you will not only find long, fascinating stretches of beach with lonely bays, but also impressive volcanic craters, vast lava fields, desert-like dune landscapes and lush palm groves. The whole is rounded off by a unique endemic flora and fauna.
For Whom is Hiking in Fuerteventura Suitable?
Hiking is suitable for everyone; a person can join as soon as it can walk. The only requirement basically is good health. Everything else results from the data of the hiking route you want to walk. You can determine whether a route is suitable for you by checking the surroundings, the ground, the altitude and the length of it in kilometers. Then you have to realistically assess whether you are up to the challenge. Sometimes a head for heights and a secure tread are also necessary, as you have to walk along cliffs or on slippery, unpaved trails.
A good indicator is the difficulty level, which includes speed, the degree of the inclines or descents, the surface and the distances. It is classified on scales the higher the value, the more demanding the hiking tour. On our website you will find information about the difficulty and the personal requirements, under the menu items “Please note!” and “Services & Prices”.
What is the Best Time to Go Hiking in Fuerteventura?
While in large parts of Europe, hiking is really only pleasant or even just possible in the summer months, Fuerteventura is a perfect winter hiking destination due to the warm and dry climate all year round. The best weather conditions for hiking are from November to May. Predominantly clear blue sky and very little rainfall. The cool breeze of the tradewinds from the north and northeast provides the necessary cooling, because there is no shade-providing vegetation. Nature also shows its lush side, especially after brief rain showers at least for a few days. Everything then blooms, shines in the most beautiful colors and offers a wonderful natural spectacle.
Why Join Guided Hiking Tours in Fuerteventura?
- Advice and instruction: The hiking routes show different levels of difficulty. The hiking guides know their area very well and can therefore give you excellent advice and perfect instruction.
- Risk minimization: On guided hikes you get to know the less worn and unsigned paths without having to use a hiking map and with no risk.
- Weather conditions: When walking in Fuerteventura, the weather can quickly change and worsen the conditions on the way. The guides will be able to show you exactly how to handle this.
- Emergencies: Large areas of the island are deserted and therefore there are no people. And this also means that no (first) aid can be obtained from others in case of need when hiking alone.
- Transfer service: Some starting points for the most beautiful hiking tours can only be reached via unpaved roads. You are not allowed to go there with a rental car as you will lose your insurance coverage when leaving the paved roads.
- Information: The hiking guides exactly know the island and its people. You will learn a lot about the landscape, nature and culture and also get some insider information that you would never have received otherwise.
- Inclusive services: In addition to transfer services from your hotel, many operators also offer snacks, drinking water, photo service, hiking shoes and poles.
What Should Be Considered When Booking?
The most important thing is to carefully check the conditions and personal requirements before booking a guided walking tour. This is the only way to ensure that the desired hiking tour is suitable for you. Keep in mind that the winter months are high season for hikers in Fuerteventura. The demand is correspondingly high. We therefore recommend booking well in advance to secure the popular spaces.
What Should You Bring When Walking in Fuerteventura?
- Firm footwear: There are no steep walls to climb, but a good grip is essential on the unpaved trails.
- Water and snacks: Sufficient water and high-energy snacks should be part of the basic equipment for hiking.
- Sun protection and cap: Fuerteventura hardly offers any shade over large areas. Therefore, you have to protect yourself adequately from the permanent solar radiation, which hardly loses its strength even in winter. A hat or cap is advisable and sunscreen with the highest sun protection factor is a must.
- Rain protection and jackets: Since you can expect a rapid change in the weather at any time, you should always keep something correspondingly in your backpack.
- First aid kit: As something can always happen on the way, you should pack the necessary utensils for first aid. The walking guide always brings something on guided tours.
Where Can You Go Hiking in Fuerteventura?
Walking to the Center of Fuerteventura
The crests of the Betancuria massif run across the island center from north to south like a mountain range. Fantastic landscapes are waiting for you here and colorful vegetation thrives in the winter month which then almost completely disappears in summer.
Walking From Morro Jable to the West
From Morro Jable you can quickly get to the west coast and lose yourself in the seemingly endless expanse of Cofete beach. The waves of the Atlantic powerfully break on the wind-blown cliffs here. And it is not far to the Jandía National Park. Hike to Pico de la Zarza, which is the highest mountain in Fuerteventura at 807 meters.
Walking from Corralejo, Explore the North
From Corralejo you can quickly reach the beautiful dunes in the northeast. There are quiet bays for swimming and attractive surf locations. And from Lajares to the Calderón Hondo volcano, you will find unique and breathtakingly beautiful volcanic landscapes, with craters and lava fields.
Walking From Caleta de Fuste in the East
In the gentle east there are wonderful sandy beaches as far as the eye can see. You can easily walk there from Caleta de Fuste. But it also is not far to the island center to the Betancuria landscape park.
Walking From Costa Calma and on the Jandía Peninsula - The South
Desert-like areas that merge into wonderful dreamlike beaches and dunes can be found on the Jandía peninsula. Hike south from Costa Calma and enjoy spectacular views of the rugged hilly landscape.
The Flora and Fauna in Fuerteventura
What Vegetation Can You Expect in Fuerteventura?
Fuerteventura does not come up with lush vegetation. The presence of endemic plants is what makes the island so special. Their vegetation is excellently adapted to the dry climate and blooms in the most beautiful colors after only a few drops of rain, at least for a short time. Trees are a rarity, although some types of palm trees can be found here. The most common plants are:
What Animals Do You See in Fuerteventura?
In contrast to the other Canary Islands, the animal world of Fuerteventura is very poor in species and there are rather smaller wild animals to be found. However, bird lovers will get their money's worth here.
- Ground squirrels
- Smaller, non-toxic snakes
- Rare, partly endemic bird species
- Smaller birds of prey
- Migratory birds
Begeleide wandelingen op Fuerteventura
In het noorden, centrum en zuiden van het eiland. Vind excursies bij u in de buurt.
Onze wandeltochten in het noorden
Onze wandeltochten in het midden van het eiland
Onze wandeltochten in het zuiden
Seizoen: Hele jaar door Dagen: Vrijdag Tijdsduur: 5,5 uur A guided hiking tour through the fascinating volcanic landscape of Fuerteventura followed by a tasting of local delicacies in an authentic canary finca. Enjoy the absolute silence, far away from…meer info
Dit zou u ook kunnen interesseren
Seizoen: Hele jaar door Dagen: Momenteel niet beschikbaar Tijdsduur: 10 min jet boat, 10 min crazy ufo, 10 min banana boat Water sport Pack 3 reloaded: The total speed adventure! And save between € 9,00 and € 26,00! When speed and G-Force combine with the ocean the result is maximum…meer info
Seizoen: Hele jaar door Dagen: Dagelijks behalve zondag Tijdsduur: 7 uur Driving through the mountains of Fuerteventura in a caravan with several jeeps has something truly adventurous. And the Defenders are more comfortable than you would expect. With your jeep you…meer info
Seizoen: Hele jaar door Dagen: Donderdag Tijdsduur: 5 uur Take the opportunity to visit the fascinating Lanzarote during your holiday in Fuerteventura. This combination of boat and bus tour is packed with mesmerizing experiences. Discover the hidden treasures…meer info